David Gift is vice provost for Libraries and IT Services, Chief Information Officer, and adjunct assistant professor of radiology, at Michigan State University.
An alumnus of MSU, with degrees in physics and computer science, Gift also is an Alfred P. Sloan Fellow of the MIT Sloan School of Management. He has served MSU most recently as assistant vice president for integrative management, and prior to that as assistant chairperson of radiology, and interim director of strategy and implementation for MSU’s Faculty Group Practice.
Gift has taught and contributed to curriculum development in MSU’s Colleges of Human Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine, and Eli Broad Graduate School of Management, has performed research in clinical decision-making, patient management and healthcare economics, and has designed and facilitated curriculum-related regional professional focus group events for the MSU College of Law.
He has served as a founder and member of the board of directors of four University medical joint venture corporations, member of the "extended boards" of the early Kuali Financial System and Kuali Coeus projects (Kuali.org), and currently as:
- Member and past chair, board of directors, Merit Network (Merit.edu)
- Board member, Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR.org)
- Board member, Peckham Vocational Industries, Inc. (www.Peckham.org)
- Member, Internet2 Network Architecture, Operations and Policy Program Advisory Group (Internet2.edu)
- Member and past chair, CIC Chief Information Officers Group (Big Ten universities, University of Chicago), and member of the CIC Shared Digital Repository Steering Committee (CIC.net)
- Member, Great Lakes Health Information Exchange executive committee (GLHIE.org)